This week we welcome Andrew Hart as a permanent contributor to Comment.
PLEASE READ THIS OP-ED FROM JOHN CUSACK AND JOIN HANDS WITH JOURNALISTS AROUND THE WORLD TO FIGHT FOR DEMOCRACY
- RT: American surveillance “abandoned rule of law”
- BBC: Captors offer hostage bowl of beef broth: The Republican Party has offered a “short-term debt limit increase to avoid default.
- NYT: Obama, GOP naughty little boys, can’t agree on debt limit plan
- HOPE SPRINGS IN DC: Fiscal crisis showing signs of positive progress
- PATRIOT ACT: Patriot Act author pledges to trim its wings, block NSA’s use
- BAD CHICKEN: People falling ill nationwide after eating bad chicken
- GOP TAKES HIT: Shutdown making part look like tits
- OLD ENOUGH TO VOTE: Pakistani activist says she wants to become PM
- SHUTDOWN SHOWDOWN: Utah’s national parks to reopen despite shutdown
- 40 INJURED IN BUS ACC.: Sorority girls get tipsy, injuries ensue
- NOBEL PRIZE: The Nobel Peace Prize has gone to chemical weapons watchdog
- COEXIST: Muslims form chain around church “in show of solidarity”
- CRACKED: Sorting through the nationalistic bullshit stereotypes
- RUSBRIDGER: Release of NSA files important to democracy (we agree)
- @Harpers MAGAZINE: “Attentive fathers tend to have smaller testicles“
- ASSHOLE SAYS SOME THINGS: Just short of calling for Christian jihad
- AFGHANISTAN: Foreign aid gives massive improvements to healthcare system
- 78,000 TO ERIC HOLDER: Hands off journalists. Seriously, don’t piss us off.
- msnbc: msnbc’s website is getting a facelift
- Keys to Hell: The man with the keys to US nukes gets de-hired
- HUMAN MONSTER DIES: Man responsible for one of worst massacres dead
- INTERESTING: TV giants petitioning court to stop Aereo from “stealing signals”
The Weekly Digest is released every Friday by 0200 GMT.